Before you leave​

When you decide to move to a new place, you have to notice your current landlord about your plans. Usually you obliged to do that at least one month in advance, according to most lease contracts. If you fail to do that, there might be some penalty fee, so be sure to inform your current landlord as soon as you can.

Also don’t forget to contact your utility providers to request cancellation of services. This includes electricity, gas, water, internet and other utilities that you currently are paying for. Be sure to schedule everything in advance, because you might need to be present when they come to shut everything off and give you the last bill.

On top of that, you need to submit some paperwork to declare that you are leaving your current area at the ward office / kuyakusho. This will allow you to re-register in your new place after you move. All this adds up into a big to-do list, so try to sort it out as soon as possible, leaving some additional time, just in case. And it’s better not to cut corners with those legal procedures, because it might cause you a lot more problems in a long run.



Using a Rental / Friend's Car

If you don’t have too much stuff to bring from your old place than you might get away with using a rental car. Just remember to bring someone to help you load and unload the car. Rental service is a budget solution, but not all places can provide you with car that’s big enough for all your belongings. So be sure to plan things ahead.


Same applies to just using someone else’s car. You can save a lot of money this way, but don’t forget that it’s a very hard work and it takes a lot of time to do move all your stuff in a regular car.

Using a Moving Company

This is by far the most hassle-free option. Japanese moving companies are famous for their incredible level of care and attention to details. But that comes at a big price. Depending on season, time and day of the week, distance and additional options, a bill for a single person might be anywhere from 20000 to 100000

Using a Home Delivery Company

If you are moving on your own, you can also use Yamato Home Convenience, a subsidiary of Yamato Transport. Special boxes are used to store furniture, and the transportation cost varies according to the number of boxes. For more details, please check their official site.

Official Procedures and Paperwork for Moving

There is still additional work to do after deciding on a new apartment, signing the contract, and securing your moving date.

Submit Paperwork at Your Local Government Office

When relocating within the same city or ward, you must file a notification of relocation (tenkyo todoke). A move-out notification (tenshutsu todoke) is required if you will be moving to another city. Ask your local government office about these papers. After filing a move-out notification, visit the local government of your new address to submit a move-in notification (tennyu todoke).

Deadline: It is advisable to file these notifications one to two weeks before your move. Fourteen days after the move is the final deadline. A penalty fee up to 50,000 yen might be imposed if you miss the submission date.

Identification: Every municipal office requires various forms of identification—namely, a residence card, inkan (personal seal), insurance card, and My Number card. Be sure to check their official site before visiting.

Notification of Relocation
(Tenkyo Todoke)
Identity verification documents, personal stamp (inkan), national health insurance card, and residence card/special permanent resident certificate.
Moving-Out Notification
(Tenshutsu Todoke)
Identity verification documents, personal stamp (inkan), national health insurance card, and residence card/special permanent resident certificate.
Moving-In Notification
(Tennyu Todoke)
Identity verification documents, personal stamp (inkan), national health insurance card, tenshutu (moving-out) certificate, and residence card/special permanent resident certificate.
Residence Card Application
Residence card and application form.
Change of Address for National Pension System
National pension notebook, personal stamp (inkan), and identity verification documents.

Mail Forwarding Procedures

This forwarding service ensures that mail will be redirected to your new address.

You can either file the paperwork at a post office, or sign-up for e-tenkyo (online application for mail forwarding) on Japan Post’s website.


Cancelling and Re-Signing Your Utilities Contract

If you are paying utilities, don’t forget to cancel the current contract before signing a new one. Most contracts can be changed online, so be sure to check beforehand.

Please note that a resident must be present for the utility company to open the gas valve at your new residence. If you are moving during the peak season, make an appointment with the gas company two weeks before the move. During other times of the year, an appointment should be made two to three days before the moving date.


Final Inspection Before Moving

On the day of your move, the landlord or the management company will check if there for any damage to the apartment. The repair cost will be deducted from the security deposit, and the remainder will be refunded.


How to Get Rid of Unwanted Furniture

To discard oversized objects in Japan, residents must pay a fee to either the local government or moving company. If the item can be re-used, try selling it on a flea market app like Jimoty, Mercari, or Rakuma.


Setting up utilities

Ideally, this  should be handled before you move into your new apartment. But, sometimes, the time between making a decision on a particular property and moving in is too short. So you might end up in an apartment with no utilities.

Setting it all up usually takes some time, so try to deal with it one-two weeks in advance.



You're all set

Depending on your particular situation, you might need additional steps, but the most important stuff is already taken care of at this point. Before singing a contract, agent must explain to you some specifics of living in your new apartment, like what you can and can’t do, who to contact when you have questions etc. If you rent your new place with Saitama Maruyama Engeneering, you only need to remember one phone number. If something brakes down, or your neighbours are being noisy, anything at all that happens while you renting this apartment can be settled through your manager at Saitama Maruyama Enegeering. We’ll do our best to support you.

In the meantime, enjoy your new apartment and make the best of your time in Saitama city!